Wow. I honestly didn't expect anyone to get this, let alone so quickly. That's the last time I underestimate people, I suppose
In any case, the winner is Sevvietwice
who guessed it on my LiveJournal. Though technically, TokiUsagi
guessed it first, she has decided to gracefully bow out, seeing as she has a great deal of my original work already (she is where my old fanart goes to die). Congrats to Sevvie and kudos to the several (!) who guessed it correctly after her (I'll get working on that picture for you asap, dear!). For the others, the answer is as follows;
These two ladies can be seen in Mystery!
a live-action British drama series. More accurately, they can seen in the opening credits, which, unlike the rest of the series, are actually animated, drawn in the style of the late Edward Gorey. The woman in lilac can be seen dancing amongst a crowd of others whilst the lady with headdress looks on, enigmatically gesturing toward us, the audience, as her fan depicts a scene in which a boat begins with two occupants and ends with one. Although they're just there for aesthetics and aren't actual characters, really, for now, I'm going to call these two Narsissca (bat wings) and Francesca (lilac dress). The whole opening credit sequence is really, REALLY awesome, and I love all of the female figures shown in it. I'd like to draw the others some time as well.
In any case, thanks every one for guessing and commenting ^_^ I'll leave the initial post up below, just for grins
________________________________________ ________________________________________ ________________________________________ _________________
. . . That's right, I said a contest.
It's very simple. Tell me what series these two characters are from. If you're the first one to guess it correctly, I'll make you a free picture. However, don't get your hopes up, because this is probably the most obscure fanart I can think of. Here are a few hints;
1. They are animated characters, however the series they appear in is live-action.
2. They look quite different in their original context; The animation in the original is highly stylised, modelled after that of a very famous illustrator.
3. The series originated in the United Kingdom several years ago, but still airs very occasionally overseas.
4. There are a few mistakes in the character design here, seeing as I was working from memory as I drew this; The bat wings should be quite a bit larger on the one woman's headdress and the other woman's sash/shawl thingie should have some sort of tassel/fring on the end.
5. Seeing as, again, the original character designs appear in a style very different from my own, the most obvious resemblance lies in the colourscheme.
6. They have no names that I know of and they never speak during their very brief appearance in each episode. In addition, though I did manage to dig up one very small image of the woman in lilac, there are otherwise absolutely NO images available online of these two (I worked on part of this whilst watching a segment that I happened to have on an old tape) So, yer, don't even bother trying to google it
7. I've given you a MASSIVE hint already, if you know where to look
Well, there you are, then. In a week or so, I'll reveal the answer. Till then, happy guessing ^_^